Martinez Historical Society

Cemetery Tour of Martinez

 

williamfrazerWilliam and Delilah Frazer

William and Delilah were pioneers who came to Martinez in 1859 after settling in the Willamette Valley of Oregon several years earlier. Delilah raised eight children alone after her husband’s death in 1868 from small pox. The eldest son, George took charge and become very successful raising Durham cattle and hogs. George bought 700 acres in Franklin Canyon. He was one of the prime movers in bringing the Santa Fe railroad through the county in the late 1890’s. He donated 12 acres for a station site, which was named Glen Fraiser to honor his family. George’s brother, William bought land in the Vine Hill area and was quite successful raising almonds and pears. He served on the Vine Hill School Board for many years. A sister, Jennie, married Joseph P. Jones, a lawyer. Jones came to the area in 1868 and was appointed Deputy District Attorney in 1869. He was elected District Attorney in 1875. In 1880, he was elected to the State Assembly and later went on to be a Superior Court Judge. A sister, Louise married H.M. Bush, grandson of Henry and Abigail Bush who settled above Brown Street in 1853. It was Henry and Abigail who planted vineyards that became the beginnings of the Christian Brothers Winery - a part of the De La Salle Institute that stood on the top of the hill from 1881 - 1932. The Christian Brothers later moved  their establishment to the Napa Valley.