Located on the Carquinez straits Martinez has had a history deeply rooted in the waterfront from the ships that sailed out of Grangers Wharf to the ferries that transported cars, people and trains across the strait. The Waterfront room shows some of this wonderful history.
Large oil on canvas, showing Martinez in 1937 by artist Lowney D. Young of Walnut Creek. Shown is the schooner Forester and the domed 1903 Court House.
Model of the lumber schooner Forester.
Ships mast lantern from the schooner Forester a 1900 vessel that lay off the shore line of Martinez Grangers Wharf. Burned to waterline in 1975.
Lyle Gun. Breeches buoy cannon from deck of the schooner Forester. The cannon's fate was unknown until recently. It was given to the Martinez Historical Society by Joseph Bonin.
Salmon fishing net
A Piece from one of the two ships that exploded in July 17th, 1944 in Port Chicago.
Click here for more history on the Port Chicago Explosion
Railroad Bridge dedication November 1, 1930.
George Miller Jr. Memorial bridge between Martinez and Benicia opened September 12, 1962. The opening marked the end of the longest operating inland ferry transportation system west of the Mississippi.